Local Sport and Physical Activity hero's celebrated at Awards Evening
Posted: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 14:14
A range of awards were presented during the Oadby and Wigston Awards Evening. Over 200 people attended the event including Team GB Hockey player, Alastair Wilson, who competed in London 2012, who presented the Sports awards.
During the evening, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council officially launched one of its Olympic legacy initiatives. The lamp-post banners that lined the Oadby leg of the Olympic Torch Relay have now been taken down, and local groups are being encouraged to declare an 'expression of interest' in obtaining one of the banners free of charge, on receipt of what the groups is doing as part of their Olympic legacy plans.
Active Oadby and Wigston would like to congratulate all winners and those who were highly commended within their catagories. Photo's of the event will be posted shortly.
Sports award winners:
· Coach of the Year - Harnek Kandola
· Physical Activity Award - Dave Tomkins
· Sportswomen of the Year - Charlotte Bentley
· Junior Sportsman of the Year - Jevann Parmar
· Junior Sportswomen of the Year - Hope Warner
· Disabled Sportsman of the year - Michael Reeve
· Junior Disabled Sportsman of the Year - Matthew Parlby
· Volunteer of the Year - JOINT Winners: Geoff Brooks And Sheryl Hayes
· Adult sports team of the year - Leicester Royals Softball team
· Junior Team of the Year - Oadby and Wigston Rovers Girls U13s Football Team
· Group of the year - Let's Walk South Wigston Walking group
· Outstanding contribution to Physical Activity - Winner: Susan Doram
· Outstanding contribution to Sport - Mel Semaine