Team Leicestershire celebrates first year success
Posted: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:05
Team Leicestershire celebrated its inaugural year with an end of year Awards Evening, celebrating the county's winning teams during 2015/16.
The evening recognised and celebrated the 50 County winning teams from Table Tennis, Futsal, Badminton, Basketball, Rugby, Netball, Football, Hockey and Cricket. Alongside profiling the County Representative Sides of Girls Football, Table Tennis, Badminton and Hockey, who have represented their County with pride on a regional and national stage.
Teams were re-awarded and their success celebrated with the support of Tyler Bernardini, Leicester Rider's guard, Anthony Clark, former Olympic Badminton player and Steph Tirrell, Leicester Hockey Club's Goalkeeper.
The audience also enjoyed a freestyle basketball demonstration from Tom 'Con-man' Connors and listened to the athletes who spoke about representing Leicestershire on a regional and national stage in the new Team Leicestershire Kit.
Regional and National success has followed some of the Team Leicestershire Champions including;
- Key Stage 3 Girls Badminton Champions from Ibstock Community College came 3rd at the Regional National Schools Badminton Championships.
- Key Stage 3 Boys Badminton Champions from Newbridge High School finished runners-up at the Regional National Schools Badminton Championships.
- Key Stage 4 Girls Badminton Champions from King Edward VII Science and Sport College picked up the bronze medals at the Regional National Schools Badminton Championships.
- Key Stage 4 Boys Badminton Champions from Loughborough Grammar School finished runners-up at the Regional National Schools Badminton Championships.
- Year 10/11 Girls Basketball Champions from Rawlins Academy, finished runners-up at the National Schools Championships.
- Under 16 Girls Table Tennis Champions from Manor High School finished in the top 16 in the national stages of the National Schools Team Championships.
- Under 16 Girls Football 'Team Leicestershire' Representative side finished runners-up in the Midlands Final.
- Under 13 Boys Hockey 'Team Leicestershire' Representative side finished runners-up in the Regional Final.
- Under 17 Badminton 'Team Leicestershire' Representative side came 5th at the National Inter-Counties Championships.
2015/16 Team Leicestershire Champions
- Year 7/8 Boys – Manor High School
- Year 9/10/11 Boys – English Martyrs' Catholic School
- Post 16 Boys – Ashby School
- Under 13 Girls – Our Lady's Convent School
- Under 16 Girls – Manor High School
- Year 7 Girls – Wigston Academy
- Year 8/9 Girls – Rawlins Academy
- Year 10/11 Girls – Martin High School
- Key Stage 3 Girls – Ibstock Community College
- Key Stage 3 Boys – Newbridge High School
- Key Stage 4 Girls – King Edward VII Science & Sport College
- Key Stage 4 Boys – Loughborough Grammar School
- Year 7 Girls – Rawlins Academy
- Year 7 Boys – Rawlins Academy
- Year 8 Girls – Lutterworth High School
- Year 8 Boys – Rushey Mead Academy
- Year 9 Girls – Rawlins Academy
- Year 9 Boys – Rushey Mead Academy
- Year 10/11 Girls – Rawlins Academy
- Year 10 Boys – The Lancaster School
- Year 11 Boys – The Lancaster School
- Under 13 Bowl – Kibworth High School
- Under 13 Plate – Thomas Estley Community College
- Under 13 Cup – Loughborough Grammar School
- Under 14 Bowl – St Martin's Catholic Academy
- Under 14 Plate – Soar Valley College
- Under 14 Cup – Welland Park Academy
- Under 15 Plate – The Martin High School
- Under 15 Cup – Leicester Grammar School
- Under 16 Plate – De Lisle College
- Under 16 Cup – Uppingham School
- Under 18 Plate – Ashby School
- Under 18 Cup – Leicester Grammar School
- Year 7 – Oakham School
- Year 8 – Loughborough High School
- Year 10 – Oakham School
- Year 7 Boys – Wigston Academy
- Year 7 Girls – Manor High School
- Year 8 Boys – Newbridge High School
- Year 8/9 Girls – Thomas Estley Community College
- Year 9 Boys – Kibworth High School
- Year 10/11 Girls – Beauchamp College
- Year 10 Boys – Ashby School
- Year 11 Boys – Beauchamp College
- Year 7/8 Girls – De Lisle College
- Year 7/8 Boys – Humphrey Perkins School
- Year 10 Girls – Beauchamp College
- Year 10 Boys – Humphrey Perkins School
- Year 7 Boys – Leicester Grammar School
- Year 8/9 Boys – Loughborough Grammar School
Geoff Maltby, Sports Development Manager at Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport (LRS) said, "Team Leicestershire has been a huge success, in this our first year of the programme. I would like to congratulate all of our school teams and athletes who have competed this year, especially our county champions who attended this evening's awards.
I would also like to thank everyone who has supported the programme, our schools, head teachers, PE staff, School Sport Association volunteers and the Team Leicestershire Board. We are all committed to ensuring as many of our young people as possible have the opportunity to participate in high quality competitive school sport and reach their full potential".
Every secondary school across Leicestershire, Leicester City and Rutland affiliated to Team Leicestershire and had the opportunity to compete in over 50 competitions across 8 sports.
Team Leicestershire is the umbrella association for the traditional competitive school sport offer across Leicestershire, Leicester City and Rutland. It is open to every secondary school – both state and independent and aims to ensure that as many young people as possible have the opportunity to participate in competitive school sport.
Team Leicestershire is supported by the professional sports clubs – Leicester City Football Club, Leicester Tigers, Leicestershire County Cricket Club, Leicester Riders, Leicester Hockey Club, Loughborough Lightning Netball and Loughborough Badminton and by several Sporting Ambassadors – Martin Johnson, Paul Nixon, Drew Sullivan, Anthony Clark and Steph Tirrell.
Team Leicestershire has developed a bespoke online 'School Fixtures' software, which can be accessed by all schools and where school staff can easily manage all fixtures and results throughout the academic year. The website can also be accessed by pupils and parents to view fixtures and results and the progression of their school teams to from local leagues to County Finals.
After receiving the support of the David Ross Foundation in the augural year, Team Leicestershire is now looking for future sponsors for the 2016/17 academic year and beyond.
Pictured: Year 10/11 Girls Champions from Rawlins Academy, who finished runners-up at the National Schools Championships.
Photographs from the evening can be viewing on our Facebook page.