Oadby and Wigston Awards 2019
Oadby & Wigston Sports Awards 2019 – 10th Year Anniversary
Celebrating its tenth year of awards, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council welcomed the sporting community as the winners and runners-up were announced in ten awards categories on Wednesday 20 November 2019.
Hosted at Parklands Leisure Centre, and presented by Gaynor Nash there was a huge attendance of over 180 guests. This included the finalists and their families and Oadby and Wigston's sporting community came together to enjoy the evening and honour the finalists for their achievements.
The awards were sponsored by Everyone Active, who manage the Council's Parklands Leisure Centre and Wigston Pool and Fitness Centre. The awards were presented by Leicester Tigers Player, Tommy Reffell. Entertainment was provided by Dan Magness, a freestyle footballer who showed off his skills and also got the guests involved. Dan has multiple Guinness World Records including becoming the first person in the world to keep a ball in the air for 24 hours without dropping it.
The winners included:
1. Junior Sportsman of the Year – Jack Minski
2. Junior Sportswoman of the Year – Bethan Lount
3. Disabled Sportsman/woman of the Year – Jonathan Rigby
4. Active Lifestyle of the Year – Chand Vaja
5. Adult Volunteer/Coach/Official of the Year – Rajan Bachra
6. Junior Leader/Coach/Instructor of the Year – Olivia Gisborn
7. Adult Team/Club/Group of the Year – Parklands Ladies Running Club
8. Junior Team/Club/Group of the Year – Oadby Tennis Club
9. Unsung Hero of the Year – Michelle Walton
10. Everyone Active Member of the Year – Mavis Watts
Kane Radford, Community and Wellbeing Manager, said: "We are very proud to host these awards. It is our chance to highlight the incredible sports stars and volunteers in the area. Whether it's personal achievement or helping to run our local sports clubs, each and every one deserves their recognition."
The event was then closed by Cllr. John Boyce, Leader of Oadby and Wigston Borough Council and guests were able enjoy a buffet and talk to Tommy Reffell and test their football skills with Dan Magness.